The beautiful and enormous Büyük Han is one of the most visited sites in North Cyprus. The name means ”Great Inn” in English and used to serve as exactly that – an inn for people travelling due to great commerce in the area. Built in 1572 by the first Ottoman governor of Cyprus, the Büyük Han consists of 67 rooms on two floors encircling a beautiful courtyard. Back in the days the top floor was used as accommodation for travellers and the first floor was for stores and offices. In the middle of the courtyard there is an octagonal mosque.